Montage 8 and digital performer

Welcome to the new era from the company that brought you the DX and the Motif. Montage sets the next milestone with sophisticated dynamic control, massive sound creation and streamlined workflow.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Dak2

Montage 8 and digital performer

Unread post by Dak2 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:24 am

Has Anyone had any success in integrating the montage 8 with Digital Performer using Midi? Would like to record several tracks (multi record). Would also like to have a drop down menu in the tracks window with the available patches in digital performer, as many other keyboard show up in this window to pick your keyboard, but not montage 8.? But no Do not want to use Cubase as my DAW, I love Digital Performer. Someone out there must have done this before.thanks
bbendorf

Re: Montage 8 and digital performer

Unread post by bbendorf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 pm

I am having the same problem!! It like having a root canal to do such a simple thing. NOT MOTU but Yamaha. They really need to improve its manual, and forums to address this simple task. Now I love my montage 88 its the best keyboard out there. I mean the best and I own Kurzweil, Korg Kronos 88 etc. Yamaha so clean and so well made.

Not for midi with motu i did figure out how to get it to somewhat playback..but arpeggios, and motion seq not.

1. "Utility"
2. "Settings"
3. "MIDI I/O" Left side menu
4. Select MIDI or USB
5. Local control off if using "Patch Thru" on Digital Performer (Enable record on Montage track to play Montage)
6. "MIDI SYNC" choose MIDI
7. "CLOCK OUT" on
8. "SONG PLAY/STOP" "receive" on "SEND" on
9."ARP MIDI OUT" off

That is phase 1 of this insane design.
Now for phase two. In order to play back ANY of Yamaha's beautiful "Performances" you will need to change Montage to receive on one midi channel,

PHASE 2

1. "utility"
2. "Settings"
3. "Advanced"
4. "MIDI I/O MODE" Single

Ok now you can at least play back what patch/Performance you are playing without having to set up 1-8 tracks on Midi Channels 1-8 !
But if you want to add stuff and play, strings , bass, guitar. Then you need Multi, BUT you dont get to here performance unless you copy same darn data in each midi channel.

Now I might be a 56 year old Film composer who is having a senior moment..but this at least gets sound tossing back from DP and Montage. There might be a easy way to do it.

Here is what i cant do.

1. Play back Arpegio's at Daw Tempo in "Performances" every time i record it plays in crazy double notes and not to DP tempo.
Totally useless. If you set tempo to sync with DAW then when you play a chord and turn on ARP SELECT on Yamaha and MOTION SEQ it hangs, stuck notes nightmare.

2. ARPIEGO does not record :/:
3. MOTION SEQ does not record. :violin:

Now i am sure one of these kind minded gentlemen on this board can help us both. As Manual is confusing. :confusion-confused:

For Yamaha There marketing guys should spend there next 3 days making "Performances" Patch lists, templates, and posting in downloads with montage downloads page. Then people who purchase this $4k keyboard could actually use it.
I have been working in Hollywood since the DX7 and never seen such a beautiful Yamaha product not supported, for MOTU or downloads , templates, etc for customers to use with DAWS.

How about a Section for "DAW QUICK SETUPS" to include stickies for MOTU, CUBASE, DORICO, etc. With patch lists, and quick MIDI setups.

How about a MOTU, CUBASE, DORICO Blank template that users could download with all the right settings with SYSEx code to play back into Montage in template to flash settings. WE ARE IN THE 2020's. If you need a Yamaha engineer to get it to work with Midi Seq... DAW etc time to fix it.

Then again i could be a fool and there is a one button macro or setup on Montage. (Quick setup) Does not work!
Hope this helps.
:confusion-confused:
Last edited by bbendorf on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbendorf

Unread post by bbendorf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 pm

I found out quick setup, but when i select it, for DAW it has a delay of like 1 second. Plays 1 sec after hitting note.
And Super Knob fights itself like its looped midi.

This its nuts! I mean I own over 69 midi devices like moogs, Rolands, Emu, Kurzweil, Korg, Yamaha motif, Midi in and Midi out to Motu Midi Express XT. Then patch thru in DP and perfect. Yamaha Montage? no go. If local control is on as stand alone keyboard its awesome. As a controller its awesome. But something like recording a seq in motu and and patch thru.. it does not work.

ARGGGGGGGG Comon we are in the 2020's! What up Yamaha?

Kind Regards
B
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:46 pm

Unfortunately, I don't own a Montage and I have never used digital performer but sometimes Yamaha also drives me completely nuts! They can produce fantastic hardware and "occasionally" be quite innovative but my god their software is a complete dogs dinner! Maybe this explains why when KORG and Roland are romping off with the software instrument crown Yamaha is staying very, very far away from it :think:

Anyway, not much help for your existing issues but I do empathise big time with where you are at.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
bbendorf

Unread post by bbendorf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:27 am

Thanks! I just love the sounds, feel and features of this keyboard. Amazing! But frustrated i am!
I called the wonderful lads at Sweetwater and they got me going a little. But still got funky stuff going on. Clearly a Yamaha software issue. :oops:
Thank god i did not do this during one of my Disney, or Netflix Episodial Tv show gigs. Its doable! But gona need some gentleman/women that figured it out.

Thank you Saul again for your kind words!
36 years of film/tv music and midi.
The issue is to many settings, in to many places!
OS on montage needs one page, of midi and daw.
Its like 40 different programmers working on 40 different modules, with no communication. Thus i got goto 20 different software pages, write down settings on other module, then tweak, then find a hidden page or module, and tweak it. Then something unrelated quits working! Ha
Then reset. :/: :/:
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 am

Well, actually I think you nailed it. Yamaha developers do not work in a homogeneous way, or at least not in my experience.

Whoever designs the hardware does a brilliant job, as do the sound guys but the ones tasked with bringing it all together in a seamless easy flowing package seems to have lost track of who they are designing all this for? It may make sense to THEM but it is a complete Rubiks cube to the end-user.

If there were an award for taking something very simple and making it hugely complicated I think Yamaha would definitely be in with a shout for the top spot :lol:
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.

Return to “Yamaha Montage Forum”