[Question] Pros & Cons of Different Types of Strings?

This section is dedicated to players of electric guitar. From beginner to expert and all in between. Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar United States of America
baiselmareo6

[Question] Pros & Cons of Different Types of Strings?

Unread post by baiselmareo6 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:19 am

I've been using Ernie Ball Nickle Wound Slinky strings on my 2 setups, exclusively for the past 5 years. I haven't kept up to date with all of the changes in the string world as I just repurchase about 12 packs at a time in my Amazon cart. Now that I just changed the nuts and redressed a few frets, I decided to look at what's new, and perhaps try a new style/gauge, and woah, a lot has changed.

There's so many options in new materials and styles now (Titanium, Cobalt, etc) compared to 5 years ago. It's a little overwhelming.

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could write a quick little rundown of the different types and what they are good? Sound, durability, wear and tear on frets, etc.

Thanks.
Last edited by baiselmareo6 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great Britain
Daviedawg

Re: [Question] Pros & Cons of Different Types of Strings?

Unread post by Daviedawg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:34 am

No rundown but I stick with tried and tested either D'Addario XL or Rotosound Yellows or Pinks depending on gauge. I've tried coated strings but got no benefit for the extra cost.

Dd
Yamahas:
SF500 Sunburst three colour Aug 1978
FZ1000 Black Sharkfin offset vee July 1986
SC400 red transparent 1982
YSG T1 in Trans Red July 1988 or 1989
RGX A2 White July 2005
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:49 am

Coated strings last much longer for me but then I also clean my strings with FastFret so perhaps that has more to do with it?

There are so many strings on the market now that I think it would be quite a job to give an appraisal of them all. Probably the best we can do is ask people to give us their thoughts on the strings they use?

Perhaps we should have a section or sub-section that is purely about strings? People can make a post with the title of the strings they use and then give a brief description of them?
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar United States of America
P90_Luv

Unread post by P90_Luv » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:52 am

Interesting. Never really thought about string type concerning fret wear (friction) properties. Thinking the coated flavors may have a slick goodness or less grind when bending?

I've tried many where favorites are GHS Boomers and Ernie Ball Slinky's. Rated by how soon they die and how quick they break, both these brands were reliable for a 4 hour show. As changed weekly I never really had "dead" strings. I clean them by pinching and sliding an alcohol soaked rag along each string length. Basically removes sweat and goo where letting them sit after a (sweaty) performance guarantees they will die. Wiping the fretboad with alcohol dries out the wood so keep the rag on the strings only.

Now simply home playing, I change them monthly and just ordered a couple packs of Elixer Nano coated to see about the new tech magic. Longer life is a good thing and if they are less abrasive to fret metal.... Sweet! Will review these wonders soon.
Great Britain
Daviedawg

Unread post by Daviedawg » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:49 pm

I play a lot so I clean my strings almost every time after playing with wee plastic things with pads above and below the strings. Jim Dunlop things of course. It lengthens the time they last. But even that time is pretty subjective.
The coated ones seemed to lose their coating pretty quickly in parts of the fretboard but especially where I pick. So I reverted to my previous normals. It was a while ago though so maybe I should give it another go.

Dd
Yamahas:
SF500 Sunburst three colour Aug 1978
FZ1000 Black Sharkfin offset vee July 1986
SC400 red transparent 1982
YSG T1 in Trans Red July 1988 or 1989
RGX A2 White July 2005

Return to “Electric Guitar, Amps & Effects”