FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Dawsons Goes Into Administration!

Kick back and talk about anything here. Music or non Music related..Anything goes....within reason!

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

shelly0624 United States of America

VIP

Re: Dawsons Goes Into Administration!

Unread post by shelly0624 »

It is especially irksome when you have travelled quite a way to check something out only to be met by disinterest or a sales pitch from someone who could just as easily be talking about double glazing rather than the musical instruments they should at least know the basics about.

I have had some good experiences in GAK on my last visits. Especially in the pro-audio department. But consistency is the key and you often find some are very interested in the gear they sell and the people who buy it where others seem to be there just for the paycheque and the discounts.

These days unless it is an acoustic guitar I just buy online. It's a lot less hassle.
Unfortunately, that has been my experience at Guitar Center, especially in the keyboard room. They knew very little about them. There must be a lot of guitar-playing staff there, that's all I can think of, because everybody I have dealt with in that department could only point to a keyboard to let me know where the model was located.
One guy I requested help from apologized and said, "I don't know about them .. I just sing.".. (which he had been doing throughout the store while he was "doing" things).

I was interested in looking at the Korg EK-50 ..another budget arranger keyboard I had been looking into. I was playing it and it just blipped out.
I asked for help and the young man didn't know anything about keyboards.
I said, "Maybe we should just turn it off and turn it back on again?
He shrugged his shoulders.
I lost interest and went for a Casio keyboard instead. :lol:
Maybe it was because I didn't have very much money to spend?

The audio and recording gear was in that room too, so maybe they were more qualified to help with that.

In fact, if I hadn't asked questions here, on YM, I wouldn't have even known what to look for or what it did. YouTube is limited.

Another thing ... often when there was an online sale, the store price was usually a bit higher. I would have to print out the online item page and bring it with me to get the deal, even though the Guitar Center sale was supposed to be nation-wide.

One thing, though, they have KILLER Black Friday Sales!! So that's when I buy, usually.

So sad that a shop with a legacy like Dawson's would close it's doors..