Furch and dowina guitars

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

Ehoman2003
Location.: United Kingdom

Furch and dowina guitars

Unread post by Ehoman2003 »

Hi.
I am looking to buy a new accoustic for around £1000. I am looking at furch and dowina guitars as they look quality instruments at a reasonable price for what they are.

Does anyone have experience of them and how they compare to each other. From doing some research it seems like furch is a bigger brand at least in the UK.

I like the look of the furch blue g cmc and the dowina ceres, again does anyone know how these compare to each other?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Furch and dowina guitars

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Paul, good to see you on the forum :)

Furch and Dowina are both excellent brands. Furch is better known here but Dowina is starting to make inroads into the UK market.

The two particular models you mentioned are similar in quality but different in tone.

The Furch Blue Series G GMC has a solid cedar top with Mahogany back and sides where the Dowina Ceres has a choice of Sitka/Dolomite spruce or Canadian Cedar tops and comes with rosewood back and sides.

Personally I think the Dowina is a more premium guitar for the money. Furch is not known for budget guitars and to get to the sub £1000 price point they have stripped back the Blue series to the bare essentials. Still sounds great though.

Dowina always produces top quality high spec guitars just at a lower price point. The finish is superb and the quality of materials is never compromised. Stan Marinov who owns Dowina chooses all the woods himself. And by that I mean he physically goes through each piece of wood looking for the best quality pieces. He simply won't take anything that is sub-standard.

The manufacturing processes are also different. Furch uses a state of the art highly mechanised process where Dowina still does most of the work by hand. This means the attention to detail with Dowina guitars is always 100% and each guitar has a "bespoke" feel to it.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these guitars. My personal preference is for Dowina but that doesn't mean it is the right guitar for you.

Maybe give Richard Cholerton at rguitars.co.uk a shout as he is a dealer for both Furch and Dowina and is a fan of both brands.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Ehoman2003

Hi Saul,

Thank you for the response, much appreciated.

You mentioned that the dowina is a more premium product, can I ask why you think that and if its more premium how do they sell it for a similar price point especially if its all hand made? I have to say that the ceres looks amazing.

So would yiu say dowina are currently selling their guitars to cheap? And if so do you think they will become more expensive once the name becomes more familiar? I would say that looking at other rosewood guitars they can be alot more expensive.

What is your preference on the combination of wood on the ceres?

Lastly is there any other guitars that you think I should concider in the same price range.

Again, thanks for Your help.

Paul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Dowina starts off from a premium product and it goes up from there.

The reasons why Dowina guitars are cheaper than Furch but of comparable quality has a lot to do with the scale of the economy. When the old Czechoslovakia broke up the new Czech Republic got all of the wealth but with that came higher costs of living. Hence wages are higher. Slovakia has not been hit with the same increases in costs although they are now starting to climb. So Dowina could produce top quality instruments for less because their overheads were not as high.

Add to that the very small margins that Dowina make on their guitars and the fact they have never paid for advertising in the whole of the companies history you can see how they have managed to keep prices where they are?

But yes they definitely are too cheap! We have all be talking about this for years. With something like the Dowina Ceres, for instance, you have a guitar that starts at £899.00 when it really should be selling for £1799.00.

Stan is very reluctant to increase prices but I think the reality is that eventually, he will have to. But these guitars are worth every penny even at double the current price.

My main guitar is a Dowina Chardonnay. In the UK it is called the 'Sol' and has the solid Canadian Cedar top with solid American Walnut back & sides. Topped off with the most amazing Flame Maple binding. Luckily my model is the earlier one so has the extra fretboard inlays. It is an absolute peach of a guitar! I think it was just over £900 when I got it but I would not have batted an eyelid if it had cost twice as much. It is such a beautiful instrument.

Stan Marinov and Frantisek Furch have worked together in the past and in some ways, the instruments they both products are almost cousins? There is a sense of familiarity when you pick up a Dowina or a Furch. I would be happy with either but my heart lays with Dowina.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Ehoman2003

Thanks again Saul... You have been very helpful.
I have actually been looking at the sol also, but visually I keep coming back to the ceres and I also like the idea of rosewood.

I take it you prefer the sol? Is that because of the sound? Playability? I think the sol is about £150 cheaper do you paying the extra for the ceres is not needed?

Out of interest how do you think they compare to high end brands? With brands you pay alot for the name which is why I am trying to avoid them and find something a bit more interesting and to get more out of my budget.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

The sound of Rosewood is always nice and the Ceres is a great sounding guitar. But much like you, I am always on the lookout for the unusual which is why the solid walnut back and sides of the Sol caught my attention.

If I could afford the Ceres as well I would probably buy one :)

I do also have the Cabernet, Puella and Marus. Although the Cabernet and Puelle are out on loan...not sure that was a good idea! :think:

I would put Dowina in the same company as Avalon, Lowden and Maton
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Ehoman2003

Hi Saul.

Is the cabernet not the same as the ceres?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Ehoman2003 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:59 pm
Hi Saul.

Is the cabernet not the same as the ceres?
I just checked the specs on the UK and EU sites and yes it does appear to be the same guitar. It is a little confusing at times. The reason they went with different names for the UK versions is that they were initially going to change the spec for things like machine heads and electronics and some of the aesthetics. I am not sure if they went with that but it does give them options down the road.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Ehoman2003

Out of interest, is there anything else you would recommend at this price point?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Ehoman2003 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:37 pm
Out of interest, is there anything else you would recommend at this price point?
If I were looking around at other brands I would probably be checking out Eastman, Breedlove and maybe Cole Clark?
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Ehoman2003

Thanks, are they of similar quality

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Ehoman2003 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:10 pm
Thanks, are they of similar quality
Kind of a hard thing to quantify? I would say Cole Clark are and they are quite an unusual brand in this part of the world. Breedlove is one of my favourite brands and again quite different. The USA made guitars are superb! but then they also cost a lot more too.

Eastman is another of my favourite brands. That is the Eastman AC222V that you can see in my avatar. All solid construction at around £689.00. Would I take it over a Dowina? No but it is still a very nice guitar for the money :)

My favourite Cole Clark is the CCAN3EC but at over 3 grand it is not exactly cheap! I doubt I will be buying one anytime soon but it's always on the wish list :) They do the Angel 2 series which is getting more down to Dowina prices but I truly think Dowina are better guitars for the money.

As with everything "music" though it is all subjective and a lot of your buying decisions I guess will be based around what you can get in the UK at the £1000 price point and also whether you can get a "hands-on" with it. Have you spoken to Richard at rguitars.co.uk? You can get him on the online chat on his website. He is a man with a passion for not just guitars but also customer service. If anyone will go the extra mile to make sure you buy the right guitar it will be him :)
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Ehoman2003

Thanks Saul.

Yes I have tried Richards as I have seen many of his you tube videos, but unfortunately I havnt had a reply to the online chat, I guess they are busy. It would be his shop that I am most likely to buy a guitar from as there are not many people who sell these guitars.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I know Richard is incredibly busy at the moment. It is a very small team and he tends to handle a lot of things himself. I will get in touch with him. Is it ok to pass on your email?
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Ehoman2003

Yes, that would be great, thanks