Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8 and the MODX+

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, RudyB

Cooly France
Where Are You Located?: france

MODX like an arranger ?

Unread post by Cooly »

Hello !
New at the forum, I'm from France :)
Fan of keyboards for many years, I have always been disappointed to have to choose between synthesizers and arrangers, with my modx, I think I have the ideal machine! I spent a lot of time creating 12 performance styles to be able to play different styles as on an arranger, I would be happy to have your opinion ! thanks :D
Nicolas

groovyband Italy
Where Are You Located?: Italy

Re: MODX like an arranger ?

Unread post by groovyband »

A typical (Yamaha) arranger's style has 3 intros, 3 endings, 4 main variations, 4 fill-ins, 1 break (= 15 patterns, 8 parts wide). Each pattern usually has at least 3 different versions (major, minor, 7th), this brings the total to 15 x 3 = 45 (8 parts wide). On top of that you have 4 OTSes (4 parts wide), that can be combined in any permutation with those ~45 accompaniment patterns.

In your MODX/Montage performances you have 8 patterns in total (1 for each scene buttons), 8 parts wide. But no OTSes. To have some sound on the right hand (and maybe also on the left hand) you have to take away one or more of the 8 parts from the accompaniment to serve as solo voice. And you still have 8 patterns in total. So you could program 4 variations and 4 fill-ins, but only with a fixed pattern for every kind of chord (so forget major/minor/7th customizations). Or you could burn 6 of your eight total patterns to program a single full featured variation with fill-in (still limited maybe to 5/6 parts, given you want at least one or two layered sounds on the right hand). But that is hardly a style anymore. And there would NOT be any automatic switch upon chord change (= impractical to use).
Generally you do not have intros/endings (and in fact in your video you have none), because you have no automatic chords progressions. Every time you call for a fill you have to remember to press the scene button once again at the end of the fill (extremely annoying and error prone), otherwise the fill will loop forever. You cannot change right hand sounds because the voices are baked in the variation pattern, and cannot be changed at will. You have no harmony on the solo voices, you have no bass inversion on/off, and a lot of other stuff you take for granted in a real arranger experience.

I suggest you to check https://www.groovyband.live/modx/. This is a REAL arranger for MODX(+)/Montage, with features even exceeding top of the line HW units (including styles with 8 variations and 8x2 OTSes). Following the link you can watch some videos, read the online manual, and even download a demo for free.
pologuy United States of America

Unread post by pologuy »

groovyband wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:49 pm A typical (Yamaha) arranger's style has 3 intros, 3 endings, 4 main variations, 4 fill-ins, 1 break (= 15 patterns, 8 parts wide). Each pattern usually has at least 3 different versions (major, minor, 7th), this brings the total to 15 x 3 = 45 (8 parts wide). On top of that you have 4 OTSes (4 parts wide), that can be combined in any permutation with those ~45 accompaniment patterns.

In your MODX/Montage performances you have 8 patterns in total (1 for each scene buttons), 8 parts wide. But no OTSes. To have some sound on the right hand (and maybe also on the left hand) you have to take away one or more of the 8 parts from the accompaniment to serve as solo voice. And you still have 8 patterns in total. So you could program 4 variations and 4 fill-ins, but only with a fixed pattern for every kind of chord (so forget major/minor/7th customizations). Or you could burn 6 of your eight total patterns to program a single full featured variation with fill-in (still limited maybe to 5/6 parts, given you want at least one or two layered sounds on the right hand). But that is hardly a style anymore. And there would NOT be any automatic switch upon chord change (= impractical to use).
Generally you do not have intros/endings (and in fact in your video you have none), because you have no automatic chords progressions. Every time you call for a fill you have to remember to press the scene button once again at the end of the fill (extremely annoying and error prone), otherwise the fill will loop forever. You cannot change right hand sounds because the voices are baked in the variation pattern, and cannot be changed at will. You have no harmony on the solo voices, you have no bass inversion on/off, and a lot of other stuff you take for granted in a real arranger experience.

I suggest you to check https://www.groovyband.live/modx/. This is a REAL arranger for MODX(+)/Montage, with features even exceeding top of the line HW units (including styles with 8 variations and 8x2 OTSes). Following the link you can watch some videos, read the online manual, and even download a demo for free.
Lighten up, Francis...

The guy took his MODX to more than it is stock...

Is it as good as an arranger as a $6,000 Genos - no, of course not - and he has said as much on YouTube...

Is it better than the $1.500 (1/4 the price of Genos) stock MODX 6 he has - yes, of course ...

I am sure it took him quite a bit (a lot) of time and work to put all of that together - and I for one really appreciate it and like it.

As one who is continually going back-and-forth between purchasing a Genos or a Montage - I appreciate both him and his efforts tremendously.
mrkwinther Denmark
Where Are You Located?: Denmark

Unread post by mrkwinther »

Great. A lot of work but worth it.
You might have a look at this guy who has done the same for Montage.
The 60 Performances he has made works on Modx as well:

vertig0spin Canada

Unread post by vertig0spin »

Awesome Cooly and welcome to the Forums!

You put a lot of work into that ...well done, enjoy... ((i))
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Adding extra functionality is always a welcome thing. The MODX is definitely not an arranger keyboard but the lines are starting to blur somewhat and personally I think that is no bad thing. The MODX is a hugely powerful keyboard for the price and developing arranger-like features, even if not complete, is a great use of that power. It would certainly be more than enough for most people. So well done Cooly, great work ((i))
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
mrkwinther Denmark
Where Are You Located?: Denmark

Unread post by mrkwinther »

groovyband wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:49 pm I suggest you to check https://www.groovyband.live/modx/. This is a REAL arranger for MODX(+)/Montage, with features even exceeding top of the line HW units (including styles with 8 variations and 8x2 OTSes). Following the link you can watch some videos, read the online manual, and even download a demo for free.
Do you have any plans on making Groovyband available for MacOS?
groovyband Italy
Where Are You Located?: Italy

Unread post by groovyband »

mrkwinther wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:53 am Do you have any plans on making Groovyband available for MacOS?
No. Currently we have no plans.
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Cooly wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:21 pm I spent a lot of time creating 12 performance styles to be able to play different styles as on an arranger, I would be happy to have your opinion !
Very Nice. You seem to have pretty much ALL the "bases" covered (Y) as these show quite detailed understanding of

the styles you depict . . Very accomplished playing - and VERY Musical too ((i))

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris