Roland GO:KEYS 3 vs Controller with Roland Cloud?

All Roland Keyboards, sound modules and software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: Roland GO:KEYS 3 vs Controller with Roland Cloud?

Unread post by Saul »

Fleer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:35 am My Go Keys 5 still hasn’t arrived. Not did the SeqTrak.
Just went ahead and ordered a (blue) Go Keys 3 from another store. We’ll see what gets here first ;)
I am guessing that next day delivery is not really a thing in the USA?
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
Fleer United States of America

Unread post by Fleer »

I actually ordered the Go Keys 3 from a new (to me) store in Leipzig, Germany, for €289 plus shipping. Should arrive tomorrow :violin:
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Fleer wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:24 am I actually ordered the Go Keys 3 from a new (to me) store in Leipzig, Germany, for €289 plus shipping. Should arrive tomorrow :violin:
That sounds like a good deal! Here in the UK it would be £334/€384 for the same keyboard 😲
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Unread post by Fleer »

Yeah, must have been a glitch. They changed it to €385. Lucky me :D
Meanwhile the 3 has arrived. Will check it out this week.
davlippo7 United States of America
Where Are You Located?: Alabama

Unread post by davlippo7 »

It's still strange to me. Here's what we've developed over the last 50-60 years....take it, it's now basically free.

Every manufacturer seems to be giving it all away for nothing. Something has to be next if everything is essentially free.

SeqTrak = free
Go Keys = free arranger type
MiniFreak = free or slightly more
Korg started the small boards like OPsix maybe around the time of Reface I'm not sure. Now they offer all the modules

What's next and how small can they keep going to? I once thought the CK was basically free but it's on the upper end of free.

I don't need any expensive synths anymore, I'll just buy all the "free" ones and have the best of everything ever made over the last 50 years.

Something is up with this trend.
sonic2000gr Greece
Where Are You Located?: Chania, Crete Greece

Unread post by sonic2000gr »

They got their profit and R&D costs from the expensive workstation type keyboards sold over the years. And they still sell those for everyone that needs them.
Now it's time to capitalize on economies of scale. The actual synthesis hardware costs more or less nothing to produce. You can sell few pieces, with premium builds and keybeds (Montage, Fantom) to few people, mostly advanced musicians or hobbyists with plenty of throwaway money.

Or you can sell them in the hundreds of thousands for cheap, to people without prior music experience (the way GO KEYS is marketed) or people who may have not even thought to buy an instrument of any kind (Seqtrak).

It might not make sense to you, since you focus on the sound, but Yamaha and Roland focus on the money. And there is a lot in this market. Let's not forget most young people now don't want to invest the time and effort to learn e.g. the piano. An arranger or something like Seqtrak is a much more appealing proposition.
Yamaha Montage 6 / Yamaha MODX6+ / Yamaha P515WH
Roland GAIA2 / Roland TR-8S / Roland JX-08 + k25m
Arturia Keystep 37 / Roland SP-404 mkII / Yamaha HS7
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

sonic2000gr wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:08 am They got their profit and R&D costs from the expensive workstation type keyboards sold over the years. And they still sell those for everyone that needs them.
Now it's time to capitalize on economies of scale. The actual synthesis hardware costs more or less nothing to produce. You can sell few pieces, with premium builds and keybeds (Montage, Fantom) to few people, mostly advanced musicians or hobbyists with plenty of throwaway money.

Or you can sell them in the hundreds of thousands for cheap, to people without prior music experience (the way GO KEYS is marketed) or people who may have not even thought to buy an instrument of any kind (Seqtrak).

It might not make sense to you, since you focus on the sound, but Yamaha and Roland focus on the money. And there is a lot in this market. Let's not forget most young people now don't want to invest the time and effort to learn e.g. the piano. An arranger or something like Seqtrak is a much more appealing proposition.
That, in a nutshell is it! It really is all about the money. Roland, Yamaha, Korg etc would not be putting out these keyboards and modules if it was not going to turn them a profit, and a rather large one at that.

The expensive keyboards like Montage M and Roland Fantom are really a sort of loss leader. The companies likely make very little money on them but the real profit is in headlines, visibility, PR. It is not very likely you are going to see a triple A musician at a stadium size gig playing a Go Keys but you will see them with a Montage M or a Fantom. Apart from anything else, these keyboards are more robust in build quality and will withstand the rigours of touring. The gig is the shop window for the brand.

The majority cannot afford a Fantom or Montage M but they still want the essense of "that sound" and they can, very likely afford a Go Keys or SeqTrak. And this is what it is all about. It is a numbers game.

For the customer though it is a big win. For example, I have always been a big fan of the old Fantom lineup and I quite like the new version but I am not going to lay out over £2000 for a Fantom 6 or just under £1000 for a Fantom 06 but, I am very tempted to pay £350 for a Go Keys 3, which at its heart is essentially a Fantom 06 without all the extras.

Or as in the title of this thread, perhaps just go for a Roland Cloud subscription and have access to the ZEN-Core Synthesis System at a fraction of the cost of even the Go Keys 3. Either way, Roland achieves it's end objective in getting me and hundreds of thousands like me to buy a product from them. I think it is very clever marketing and perhaps even Yamaha are starting to realise that a combo offering of hardware and software can be a big earner for them. I am convinced now that the Montage ESP will eventually make it into retail. And if it does, I will be waving my credit/debit card in Yamaha's direction :)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Unread post by Fleer »

The 3 is in da house (while waiting for the 5).
This is one hell of a machine. Solid, good keybed, nicely textured keys. Feels more like a piano than my Yamaha CK61 but of course less than my Roland RD-88. Same great sounds, though, absolutely top shelf. And good speakers too, more than adequate for noodling on the couch. Definitely loud enough. Screen looks fine, same as on the RD, knobs handle well with a nice feel to them. All in all a crazy package for the price. First time in many, many years I’ve seen this quality for so low.

It worked on me as I bought a SeqTrak & MiniFreak and I have a PA5x (but probably won't buy a Go-Key for that reason), M8x, YC73, Deckard's, Iridium module, Oberheim OB-X8m, Osmose & Arturia PolyBrute 12 coming so I really don't need these.

I use mine in different rigs or stations mainly due to lack of space as follows:

1) PA5x typically standalone with nothing else for a one man band scenario but it's also MIDI'd to the M8x if I want that in combo

2) Deckard's with Osmose controller & Meris LVX delay running thru my M8x audio

3) Combo YC73 w/SeqTrak (because YC is so limited in AWM2 voices), MiniFreak now on top & I swap in/out the OB-X8m.

4) Waldorf Iridium using Osmose controller typically for exploration & sound design

I sold/traded my Hammond SKpro but I really liked it, Roland Fantom for the M8x, ASM Hydra Deluxe was redundant I think but really I liked it, sold my second Osmose to buy a Saxy-Trumpet

I'm typically selling something to buy something new (thank goodness for Reverb) so once the Poly 12 arrives I might sell something else that's redundant.

The Deckard's is insanely expensive (bought it used) but when using the software to randomly generate new voices in less than 1 second that's like pure gold. It's like a slot machine and it's totally addictive else dare I say I might sell have sold it because there's so much money in it. You can buy the PolyBrute 12 for less and it has effects & new Full-Touch PA.

Oberheim is simply a classic dream machine and at least it's available to regular people.

I guess if I wanted the Roland sound I could get a Go-Keys but the advantage to the others is they can "disappear" in my rig but Go-Keys can not which is probably it's only flaw which also happens to be one of its main features.

Unread post by Fleer »

The styles are actually pretty nice too, and I’m not a styles guy. Got ten or more synths and keyboards and this one definitely is the cheapest in a long time, but boy is it worth the while. It’s like having the history of Roland in a concise package with sweet keys and absolutely sufficient speakers. Been wanting such quality in this form factor for years. Got (and like) the Korg i3. Nice piece with a great chord function but no speakers and no really professional sounding. Got the Yamaha CK61 and love its Reface-ish format and sounds but it’s more than double the price.
So, as for these smaller hands-on playing machines, Roland really hit it out of the park with their second generation Go:Keys.
And they go well with my Sequential Take 5. But most interestingly they are compatible with the sounds on my RD.
Great fun while waiting for that Fantom X and Kronos 3.
I do have a Kurzweil PC4 but might also get a MODXF and an Electro 7 when they’re launched :)
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I only wish I had deeper pockets :( I "could" buy a Go Keys 3 right now but knowing my luck, as soon as I got my hands on those keys the car would break down or another large bill would land on the doormat but hey, that's life, I think I can survive without a new keyboard for a while 😂
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Saul it's almost so cheap that I might buy it for you. Where do I send the payment?

I'm probably returning my Meris Mercury X it was $600 and all it does is reverb. I'm sure guitar players love it but $600 super advanced (too good to place on the floor and step on it) for only reverb in comparison to having an entire MiniFreak that comes with reverb.

I think the foot pedal people need to re-evaluate their asking price very seriously should only be about $99 compared to entire synths for less money.

Anything made in CA with all the regulations and inflated cost of living is going to be 6 times a realistic cost.

Shimmer reverb is coming to the M for free, holy cow does that sound good.

I'd rather my $600 go toward the PolyBrute 12 also with reverb for free. What is it with these absurdly high pedal reverb & delay effects prices?

I figure that the guitar players are easy pickens because there are so many of them and they will pay anything for better effects. Ironic that now keyboards players are enjoying the highly competitive cost savings in all these "free" synths flooding the market.

Unread post by Fleer »

Saul wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:41 pm I only wish I had deeper pockets :( I "could" buy a Go Keys 3 right now but knowing my luck, as soon as I got my hands on those keys the car would break down or another large bill would land on the doormat but hey, that's life, I think I can survive without a new keyboard for a while 😂
Wait for Go Keys 3 to dive under $300 again and jive :)

To anyone with Arturia Brute insight does it have a master controller functionality?

Meaning can I control several assignable MIDI channels like the YC allows me to do?

I don't actually see the phrase "Master Controller" in the manual only something about channels 1-4 but doesn't really explain what that means.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yep, I know it is pitiful 😂. I am not broke by the way, not sleeping on a park bench just yet 🤣. I think I am just a lot more cautious these days. Up until a couple of years ago, the cost of living crisis as it has become known, didn't really affect me that much but these days I am definitely noticing the squeeze.

So whereas back in the good old days of care free spending I could pretty much buy what I wanted, I now weigh up the cost vs benefit a lot more than I ever have done in the past. And even though the Go Keys 3 is pretty much a no brainer I stop and look at the Nektar Impact GPX49 sitting right in front of me now and ask myself, when was the last time I turned it on? That is not because it isn't a decent controller. It is I think because I am not a huge fan of synth action keys. I much prefer weighted but I don't have the space for a large keyboard here.

Anyway, I am getting way off topic, as usual 😂 Maybe I can eBay a few things and go down that route :)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook