Roland GO:KEYS 3 vs Controller with Roland Cloud?

All Roland Keyboards, sound modules and software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

anotherscott United States of America

Re: Roland GO:KEYS 3 vs Controller with Roland Cloud?

Unread post by anotherscott »

Saul wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:10 am These are the wave expansions that are NOT availalable to the Go Keys 3.
The sound packs and style packs available for the Go Keys 3 are more than enough to keep most people happy 👍
The big difference between the sound packs and the wave expansions is that the sound packs contain no new wave data (samples), they use the board's existing samples and synth functions. The wave expansions (which are based on the SRX expansion cards that were available for many Roland models) actually add new sampled instruments. So to a much greater extent, they are "new sounds" rather than "more variations on existing sounds."

Tangentially, picking up on an earlier comment about to what extent one can see a Go as a mini-Fantom, the Fantom can load all those SRX-based wave expansions simultaneously, so you can freely switch among and freely combine the sounds from all those expansions. I'm pretty sure the 5 only lets you load one such expansion, i.e. you'd have to unload that one in order to use a sound from a different one. (And there's no charge for these expansions on a Fantom.)
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Yes I know what wave expansions are. I just don't personally see the value in the ones on offer. I have owned most of them at one point or another.

I have owned all of the Fantom range apart from the latest itteration. Fantom FA76, Fantom XA, Fantom X6, Fantom G6. And then the rather confusingly named later FA06/07 keyboards, which were in many ways the Fantom with a few things removed and some additions. I think the FA06 came with two expansions installed, and you could overwrite these with downloaded expansions.

The original Fantom had physical SRX expansion cards.

So I am familiar with the SRX series but I still think it is no great loss not to be able to install them on the Go Keys 3. If you are a Roland Cloud Ultimate subscriber you will have access to them anyway. The SRX sounds are getting a bit long in the tooth. Some are good with a little tweaking but others are showing their age.
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
shelly0624 United States of America

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

This video is just a quick overview of the interface, how easy (or not) it is to access the features and what they are. There might have been a few more capabilities that he missed. I'm not a fan of the sounds he used, but he did a good job of explaining things for a beginner and there are a TON of sounds. Many of the piano sounds I've heard on YouTube videos sound really authentic. I would have loved to hear more orchestral sounds, but I'll hear all of that for myself. I'll get a chance to find out how quickly I can get to things while I'm playing. My keyboard needs are basic, so I rarely use a lot of the features on an arranger keyboard. Using the jog wheel to get though all of the sounds can be fast, but I wondered if there was a quick way to find each instrument category. I can't wait to explore this keyboard and those amazing sounds. I think it will be great for recording (and just to play anytime). It looks really light and portable for trips away.

I'll have to find a review that features the microphone option. I already have one that does that, but this has extras...like a vocal harmonizer. I'm really curious. I'm getting the Roland Go 3, but it would be fun to see the mic effects.

VIP

I got my Roland Go 3 today. The turquoise is a really nice retro shade of turquoise. Super-sturdy and well-made. The interface is minimalistic. The sounds are AMAZING, there are a ton of them, but I need to fiddle with some settings---like ADSR and velocity sensitivity. I'm eager to see how customizable the sounds are. The speakers aren't super-whammerdine, but it's a personal keyboard for home use or to be hooked up to a speaker. It came with a printed user manual..YAY!

Actually, because the interface is SO minimalistic, I'll need to learn how to access things. (That's just me). It doesn't come with a music rest. That has to purchased separately from a dealer... not an Amazon thing right now. I have a music stand that can go behind my keyboard so that's not a big deal. I also have a tabletop one but it would be awkward on the desk for recording. Andy will make me one because they are undoubtedly expensive..$$ Not everyone needs a music rest, but I do. These are first impressions. I actually got mine as a "blemished model" for $294 from Zzounds. There were no blemishes I could see at all, but that was my experience when I bought my Yamaha PSR-E473. I saved about $50 that time too. It's my feeling that maybe they are returns. Nevertheless, it did come in the original box and was secured inside with thick cardboard braces, probably original too. I didn't have to compromise anything at that price. I'm expecting to have a lot of fun, especially as I dig in to customize a few things. When I'm not playing it for fun, it will used as a keyboard controller in the future. I'm glad for the slim design. GLAD I BOUGHT IT :D
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for your first impressions there Shelly👍

Sounds like it was a good buy. Lots of things to explore and discover. What do think of the keys?
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
Fleer United States of America

Unread post by Fleer »

Come to think of it, one of the reasons why I’m enamored with this keyboard is its physical form, a pretty handy kind of boxiness. Looks like it’s waiting for you to start playing, again and again. Got it for under $300 new and it’s at least worth twice the price. Got the 5 for $500. My Yamaha CK61 is understandably more expensive around $900, with the slider controls and all, but holds way less sounds, and some are not as good, especially the synth presets. But it fits my little Reface CK.
I’ve also got two RD-88s and these little Go:Keys boards fit those well. Same sounds, perfectly interchangeable.

VIP

Saul wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:51 pm Thanks for your first impressions there Shelly👍

Sounds like it was a good buy. Lots of things to explore and discover. What do think of the keys?
The keys were great when I adjusted the touch sensitivity from 5 to 3. It has 9 levels of touch sensitivity, plus fixed, according to the specs. At first I thought the keys were sluggish. They were set too hard for my hands and that was the only problem. This keyboard is a playground, solidly made. The keys are quality..not bouncy, not clacky, and they have substance. They are really responsive but not wimpy. If you like keys that have a more weighted feel, there are harder settings for something you can pound on, but I found it hard to play the soft notes on the default 5 setting . They are box style and sort of a matte, subtle wood-grain finish. The body is matte too and durable. It's not like your average keyboard at that price range and I can't believe the sounds!! WOW. So much fun. I feel compelled to listen to each one. It would be my inclination to just start playing songs, but I'm fascinated by the sounds. I can't believe the price for something like this.
Last edited by shelly0624 on Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks Shelly

Sounds like it is a huge win for Roland. Especially taking into account that you can add new sound packs. Yamaha are really going to have to revise their entry level PSR line now. Or at least I would hope that is what they would do 🤔

I really need to get hold of a Go Keys 3 but it will need to wait. Too many things going on right now.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

VIP

Oh..the other thing..
It doesn't come with a paper user manual; it's a quick start manual (in many languages). You download the reference manual and another one that gives instructions on using Roland Cloud.
sonic2000gr Greece
Where Are You Located?: Chania, Crete Greece

Unread post by sonic2000gr »

shelly0624 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:15 am Oh..the other thing..
It doesn't come with a paper user manual; it's a quick start manual (in many languages). You download the reference manual and another one that gives instructions on using Roland Cloud.
That's standard now in all Rolands. And I have a few ((i))
I appreciate printed manuals but I understand why a manufacturer would choose not to include them. Most are thick as bricks (SP-404 mkii => 173 pages) and would get outdated by firmware updates. And in fact some Roland manuals are not even worth the trouble :lol:
Yamaha Montage 6 / Yamaha MODX6+ / Yamaha P515WH
Roland GAIA2 / Roland TR-8S / Roland JX-08 + k25m
Arturia Keystep 37 / Roland SP-404 mkII / Yamaha HS7
sonic2000gr Greece

Don't know if you've seen this yet, but Roland is ticking all the boxes here:

Andy specifically says "we wanted to make a little more up to date and exciting compared to the traditional products you find on the market" (PSR-E :/: )
I am really sold. Maybe I should add the 5 for my (Christmas?) shopping list
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It is an amazing keyboard for the money. I am still considering buying one even though I have a controller and a Roland Cloud Ultimate sub.

I don't really like the controller I have at the moment hence why I may jump for the Go Keys 3.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

VIP

It's probably right in front of me, but to save time, does anyone know how to set the separate volume levels on the dual tones? I have the Roland Go 3.
sonic2000gr Greece

Just from the manual (I don't have GO:KEYS), from the home screen:

- Press f4 (settings)
- Press f1 for lower or f2 for upper part
- Change the Level parameter for each.

(Page 16 in the reference manual, other useful info in that page as well)

VIP

Thank you! Much appreciated :)