Roland GO:KEYS 3 vs Controller with Roland Cloud?

All Roland Keyboards, sound modules and software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: Roland GO:KEYS 3 vs Controller with Roland Cloud?

Unread post by Saul »

Jeremy See has uploaded his take on the Go Keys 3 & 5. I think he likes them 😂

Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
sonic2000gr Greece
Where Are You Located?: Chania, Crete Greece

Unread post by sonic2000gr »

He correctly points out the modern nature of these keyboards as well as zen core and expandability. And also reminds us that Roland is coming back to arrangers (after previously releasing rebadged cheap Chinese knockoffs)

However amusing as his videos may be, I can't really take them seriously. Every single one of them seems to claim "I'm switching", "Best keyboard for beginners" and so on :lol:
Yamaha Montage 6 / Yamaha MODX6+ / Yamaha P515WH
Roland GAIA2 / Roland TR-8S / Roland JX-08 + k25m
Arturia Keystep 37 / Roland SP-404 mkII / Yamaha HS7
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

sonic2000gr wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:49 pm
However amusing as his videos may be, I can't really take them seriously. Every single one of them seems to claim "I'm switching", "Best keyboard for beginners" and so on :lol:
Yes my thoughts exactly. He probably does that to bring people into the videos and hopefully, click on his affiliate links for the products he is reviewing. I can understand that to a certain extent as he needs to buy in most things. Certainly Yamaha do not send him products. Other manuafacturers might. But doing videos is a time consuming and sometimes costly process.

He does have something of the "sales pitch" style about his videos but I guess that is just his personality. Overall though he is a very nice chap just trying to make a living doing what he loves.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
shelly0624 United States of America

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I've always enjoyed his videos. I'll check it out. I was wondering when he would get around to this keyboard.

VIP

Jeremy See did an excellent job. Some of the same sample songs he played were FAR more amazing in sound compared to other keyboards he has reviewed playing the same songs. BIG difference. When playing my Roland Go 3, not only are the sounds rich, but some of them almost have an after-touch feel (IMO). There are a few small complaints I have with the Roland Go...one is the lack of a music rest, which costs a bit to buy separately, not sure why they did that, and the other are the tiny words above the dedicated buttons. If the keyboard is a light color---mine is turquoise, they are almost invisible. The letters are a matte grayish-silverish color and very tiny. I suppose the fix is to memorize your way around so you can get to the functions quickly, but, as it is, I literally have to tip the keyboard slightly toward me to see the silver reflected on the matte surface.

I probably would have liked more onboard recording tracks as a rough-draft tool in song writing besides the one, but that becomes redundant since the idea is to use a multi-track recording program. The only reason I even mention it is because I would like to have it in my she-shed and my recording setup is in the house because there isn't enough room in my shed. (Andy is always sitting there watching TV! I could always send him in the bedroom to watch TV instead). :lol: :lol:

These are SMALL problems and unimportant. I just REALLY enjoy my Roland Go 3 keyboard and it is definitely a big step up from the low-priced keyboards I already owned. I knew Jeremy See would give this keyboard a stellar review. I really hope he covers the microphone option. It seems that nobody has done that on YouTube---I mean, the way the voice actually sounds using it. I haven't been able to find much, anyway. There are some interesting vocal effects it features, apparently, like a vocal harmonizer. I doubt I would ever use it but it would be fun to hear it. (Somebody let me know if you've found anything on YouTube).

I'll probably leave a comment on Jeremy's YouTube channel and suggest a review on the Roland Go 5 microphone feature. So glad I have this keyboard. It's lot of fun!
anotherscott United States of America

Unread post by anotherscott »

shelly0624 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:07 pm I suppose the fix is to memorize your way around so you can get to the functions quickly, but, as it is, I literally have to tip the keyboard slightly toward me to see the silver reflected on the matte surface.
Alternate solution... make you own labels!

VIP

Good idea! At least until I can easily memorize and navigate the functions..
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Shame about the lettering but there is inevitably something with all these things. I would probably either have some sort of lighting on the keyboard that shows up the lettering or make a stencil to go over it.

I think Andertons were supposed to do a video of the Go Keys 5 that demonstrated the mic input but they don't seem to have gotten around to it although Jack did test the vocoder and harmonize at around 18:00 on this video.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

mx49 Germany
Where Are You Located?: Switzerland

Unread post by mx49 »

I was today at the Roland Store in Denmark Street. They have the GO:PIANO, GO:KEYS 5 and GO:KEYS 3 on display and stacked on each other.

I was not impressed by the feel of the keybed. GO:PIANO and GO:KEYS have different keybeds. GO:KEYS is springier and with higher tension. I would not want to play piano on any of these 3 keyboards. I very much prefer a good synth action for playing piano, like the FS-X.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

As Shelly mentioned, it was not until she adjusted the velocity curve that she started to enjoy playing the Go Keys 3. It has 9 curves to choose from which must help.

I don't expect much in terms of key action from a keyboard at this price point. I am pretty sure though it is better than what I have now ;)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Rara Scotland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: australia

VIP

Unread post by Rara »

shelly0624 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:07 pm If the keyboard is a light color---mine is turquoise, they are almost invisible. The letters are a matte grayish-silverish color and very tiny. I suppose the fix is to memorize your way around so you can get to the functions quickly, but, as it is, I literally have to tip the keyboard slightly toward me to see the silver reflected on the matte surface.
Its the same on the white model as well. Clearly a production thing, as the labelling is the same colour on all of them.