What can we assume about the spec of the MODX/MODX+ successor?

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8 and the MODX+

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul, RudyB

vertig0spin Canada

Re: What can we assume about the spec of the MODX/MODX+ successor?

Unread post by vertig0spin »

mx49 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:48 am AIUI, an SWP70 can only address 4 GB of physical sample storage. If the MODX successor contains all the preset waveforms from the Montage M plus some space for user waveforms, then they need two SWP70s. Or they would need to change the hardware architecture, which seems less likely.
Yeah, that's a good point, which I think may be correct.
Whatever they do, they will do the cheapest way possible, so if they have two SWP70's it may contain less memory chips on the second one. Or perhaps they find a way to make it work with a single SWP70..!? They did some things on the MODX classic with a single SWP70 that many were surprised by. Maybe they don't give people the 1.75GB of User memory and cut that back to 1GB like the MODX classic, giving that extra .75 toward Preset waveforms..!? Or perhaps they find a way to tweak a single SWP70 to handle an extra 1 or 2GB of memory? Hard to say what they'll do... :think:
mx49 Germany
Where Are You Located?: Switzerland

Unread post by mx49 »

I am starting to wonder if ESP might be the end of the mid-tier series. I expect that ESP will eventually be sold separately. This would be an affordable option for some people (who already use a computer and already have a controller keyboard).
sonic2000gr Greece
Where Are You Located?: Chania, Crete Greece

Unread post by sonic2000gr »

mx49 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:36 am I am starting to wonder if ESP might be the end of the mid-tier series. I expect that ESP will eventually be sold separately. This would be an affordable option for some people (who already use a computer and already have a controller keyboard).
That would signal Yamaha transitioning to a software-based synth company and I doubt it. The ESP would have to sell for significantly less to be a success. People won't easily spend this kind of money for something that is not tangible. Of course there is always the subscription trick.

But I think as long as the competition still creates real mid-tier keyboards, Yamaha will do too. Regardless where they go with ESP.
Yamaha Montage 6 / Yamaha MODX6+ / Yamaha P515WH
Roland GAIA2 / Roland TR-8S / Roland JX-08 + k25m
Arturia Keystep 37 / Roland SP-404 mkII / Yamaha HS7