Yamaha EX5R repair

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

I bought en EX5R and I have lost all presets in the perform button bank. It says INIT and some numbers. I downloaded the files and attempted to reload them from 3.5 disk but I get illegal file bad disc and other errors. I have formatted and even when trying to format using the EX5R I get a bad disc error. Where in the USA can I send this to get it back up to par? I miss the dream grand setting very much and want it back. Thanks.
davlippo7 United States of America
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:22 pm
Where Are You Located?: Alabama

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by davlippo7 »

Does it have a reset the whole system option? That would restore all of those.

I used to use a disk reader cleaner that might be all it needs.

I used to get those same "bad disk" errors but it's likely nothing is wrong with it just needs cleaning.

It's possible someone might take advantage of you charging you a fortune, I'd buy a drive cleaner first.
Attachments
m5.PNG
Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

Reset the whole system would delete all the 1 and banks. which are missing.
Last edited by Mark9169 on Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
davlippo7 United States of America
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:22 pm
Where Are You Located?: Alabama

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by davlippo7 »

Generally a reset restores all the presets because they are hard programmed internally. Or are you talking about the flash user memory slots. ROM shouldn't ever erase itself. Derek is an EX5 guru he will know.
Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

I did not do the full reset.
Last edited by Mark9169 on Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
davlippo7 United States of America
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:22 pm
Where Are You Located?: Alabama

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by davlippo7 »

I've owned many EX5 & EX5r over the years, I'm pretty sure the presets cannot be erased however the internal banks can be erased &/or replaced.

Presets are on the ROM and Internals are on the RAM or flash.

You should still have all the preset voices available whereas the internals might be INIT until you load them in.

I'm not sure if when you say "preset" you actually mean "internal" banks & related patches.

You should also purchase and install the latest OS eprom chips if it doesn't already have them installed.
Attachments
m7.PNG
m6.PNG
Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

Is there a tech in the USA?
Attachments
z.jpg
Last edited by Mark9169 on Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Henry Norway
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm
6
Where Are You Located?: Trondheim

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Henry »

Mark9169 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:17 pmI have lost all presets in the perform button bank. It says INIT and some numbers.
This is normal behaviour for the EX5R after a hardware reset.
davlippo7 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:09 amGenerally a reset restores all the presets because they are hard programmed internally. Or are you talking about the flash user memory slots. ROM shouldn't ever erase itself.
The P1 and P2 Voice banks are located in permanent ROM memory, and cannot be overwritten. The I1 and I2 Voice banks and the Performance bank, on the other hand, are battery-backed "user" banks. These are initialized when doing a hardware reset, and not automatically repopulated like on more recent instruments. A full factory reset therefore always involves loading the factory voice data found on the floppy disks that shipped with the EX5R.
Mark9169 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:17 pmI downloaded the files and attempted to reload them from 3.5 disk but I get illegal file bad disc and other errors. I have formatted and even when trying to format using the EX5R I get a bad disc error.
Your EX5R's floppy drive could be malfunctioning. I assume you have a computer with a working floppy drive, that allowed you to download and transfer the files. Does it read the disks without errors?
Mark9169 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:32 amI dont know, Now Ive done something and the unit does not even output audio.
Does this apply to the P1 and P2 banks (Voice mode) too?

- H -
Last edited by Henry on Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

I actually bought an external drive to copy the files. I now have audio again after doing a Voice plus hold down keys 6 and 9 and reset with f3. yes the 1 and 2 voice banks are the ones missing presets. P1 and P2 are fine and are all there. So I assume I have a bad drive in the EX5R. This was overlooked by the seller so I am requesting a refund since it is not as described.
User avatar
Henry Norway
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm
6
Where Are You Located?: Trondheim

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Henry »

Understood. For what it's worth, you still have a couple of options:
  • Clean the EX5R's floppy drive, as per davlippo7's instructions.
  • Replace the EX5R's floppy drive.
  • Swap the EX5R's floppy drive for a USB floppy emulator unit.
  • Use the EX.factory librarian to transmit voice data from the computer via MIDI.
- H -
Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

I will see how the return goes, if it does not get refunded I will try the Gotek USB floppy emulator drive. Thank you for your help.
Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

The seller agreed to buy a drive, Is this the right one? https://www.gotekemulator.com/P_view.asp?pid=75
User avatar
Henry Norway
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm
6
Where Are You Located?: Trondheim

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Henry »

Impossible for me to answer with certainty, since there are dozens of variations of these around. Some are also modified and sold under different names. This particular one is not mentioned anywhere in specific relation to the EX5R, but it seems to have the correct interface. It is probably identical to the regular SFR1M44-U100, with the popular OLED + Rotary Encoder mod included for ease of use (text display is very helpful with up to 1000 disk images stored on a single USB flash drive).

Most of the Gotek units have basic I/O reconfiguration via jumpers on the inside/rear. They don't say what firmware it runs, but I'm guessing it's Gotek's own. It can be flashed with e.g. HxC or FlashFloppy firmware (about which there are plenty of resources on the web), if the stock one isn't compatible. Some units require an adapter cable for flashing (costs pennies online), while others can be flashed directly from the front USB port.
Mark9169 United States of America
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:18 am
Where Are You Located?: USA

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Mark9169 »

On the link you added a couple posts above it sent me to a youtube video where a guy put one in his ex5 keyboard so I assume it would be the same on to put in an EX5R right? I actually just emailed gotek and hopefully they will respond. heres the link you sent.
User avatar
Henry Norway
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:38 pm
6
Where Are You Located?: Trondheim

Re: Yamaha EX5R repair

Unread post by Henry »

Mark9169 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:12 pmOn the link you added a couple posts above it sent me to a youtube video where a guy put one in his ex5 keyboard so I assume it would be the same on to put in an EX5R right?
Yes, the EX5 and EX5R are identical in this respect. I can't see any info on what specific Gotek model he used in the video, though. The guy seems to have converted lots of other instruments as well, so it is perhaps a good idea to ask him in the comments section. 🙂
Post Reply