Free Software To Get You Started

DAW's, Audio, MIDI, VST's and all other music software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Free Software To Get You Started

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned in various posts, but not here I think, which it definitely should be.

It's Cakewalk by BandLab, formerly known as SONAR.
You can start the registration/download process from here: www.cakewalk.com

Following the Gibson financing fiasco, the MIDI/audio sequencing software (or DAW software if you prefer) the SONAR program was bought by an organisation known as BandLab, and they decided to continue to develop it and to make it available for FREE!
This really is a fully fledged piece of software rivalling the very best on the market.
It no longer comes, quite naturally, with some of the 3rd party plug-ins that it used to, but the stuff included is of the highest quality.
It's now fully 64 bit.
The only thing I'd say about it in a negative sense, is that it is mighty complex for a beginner to get to grips with.
However, once mastered it is a superb piece of software. Some of the team were taken across into Bandlab and are working actively to keep it at the top of the pile.
I bought a copy of Sonar 7 back in 2013 (as I recall) and have recently done the upgrade to the latest version.

Just thought I'd mention it.
JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Free Software To Get You Started

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 21, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks John. It is an incredibly powerful DAW and for FREE it is even more amazing!

Shame it was never ported to the mac but then I guess we are not exactly short of DAW's and music software in general ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer

Return to “Music Software Forum”