TX7 - Load banks using cassette interface via MP3 player

This section is for all variants of the Yamaha DX series. DX1/DX100/DX11/DX21/DX27/DX27S/DX5/ DX7/DX7IID/DX7IIFD/DX7S/DX9/TX81Z/TX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

sverige_cruz

TX7 - Load banks using cassette interface via MP3 player

Unread post by sverige_cruz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 pm

Hey all,

Within the past week I bought a TX7 - very cool sounds. It dawned on me last night that I could possibly use a cheap MP3 player to save banks of sounds onto (in DATA format), and tote around with me to re-load them into the TX7 without the need for a PC via MIDI.

I verified it last night, and recorded the output of the cassette interface into my PC, using the soundcard. Sounded like a lot of static and beeps. I then proceeded to use that audio file (about 45sec long, and as an MP3 file, took up about 1MB) to load the bank back into the TX7. It worked!

Now all I need to do is build a dedicated DIN-8 to 1/8" cable and get a small portable MP3 player to save all the banks I have on my PC to. Of course I have to transmit the original sysex to the TX7, then dump the data from the TX7 and save it as an audio file, but this beats having to plug into my PC every time I want to use a different set of 32 patches.

For those that are interested, on the DIN-8 jack, PIN-4 is "out", PIN-5 is "in", and 1,2,3 & 8 are GND.

I don't know if this info is online already, but thought I'd post it here since I found you guys.

Next up - figuring out a way to get a backlit LCD in there...

Cheers,
Jesus
User avatar United States of America
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Clyde » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Jesus,
Welcome to the Forums! I remember saving and loading via the cassette interface on my DX21 back in the mid '80s. And if it works as you indicated that would certainly be more convenient. Thanks for posting that.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey that's an excellent solution to the problem. Well done! :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
sverige_cruz

Unread post by sverige_cruz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks for the kind words guys. I eventually did build that DIN-to-RCA(stereo) cable to make the transfers. I got a cheapo MP3 player from Radio Shack (Gigaware for $20). Now to sit down and do the tedious work... record, send, transfer, save, edit, repeat....

Cheers,
Jesus

Return to “Yamaha DX & TX Forum”