EXPANDING SY85 VOLATILE MEMORY

The Yamaha SY85 is a digital music workstation introduced in 1992. Unlike other Yamaha synthesizers of the time (SY77 and the SY99) the SY85 does not use FM synthesis. Instead, its sounds are based on samples, which can be layered and modified to create new sounds.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

torsogong

EXPANDING SY85 VOLATILE MEMORY

Unread post by torsogong » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:25 am

Hello to all you newer SY85 buyers. It's fairly common knowledge that the 85 will hold more volatile sample RAM than the manual says (2MB). I installed two 4MB boards for a total of a little under 9MB (the 85 comes with 512k) two months ago, and I have had no problems. Yamaha's suggestion of 2.5MB max is very limiting. To give you an idea, that much RAM will only allow you to load about five simple, multisampled (3-4) looped waveforms.
The good news is, I found a place that has the lowest prices on SIMM memory boards:
Memory X
Santa Clara , CA
SIMM, 4MB, 30 pin, 70ns, parity
Part # XFK4 4C9F41-70
$6.98 each
They have a wide variety of shipping options and they're very professional. My order was processed the same day, and the packing was very sturdy.
NOTE: When installing memory boards in a unit that has two expansion slots, like the SY85, two memory boards of equal memory capacity must be installed at the same time!
For those of you who are overseas, you'll need to check Memory X's web site for shipping info. Have fun!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:41 pm

That's a very reasonable price for this type of memory. It can be hard to get hold of because it's so old. I bought a box full at a computer fair a while back for £5.00/$10

Boot sales and computer fairs are great places to pick up memory for your SY. Often you can get it for next to nothing as there really isn't anything computer wise that it's any use for now.
JAVISIXTIES

Re: EXPANDING SY85 VOLATILE MEMORY

Unread post by JAVISIXTIES » Wed May 11, 2005 3:33 am

torsogong wrote:Hello to all you newer SY85 buyers. It's fairly common knowledge that the 85 will hold more volatile sample RAM than the manual says (2MB). I installed two 4MB boards for a total of a little under 9MB (the 85 comes with 512k) two months ago, and I have had no problems. Yamaha's suggestion of 2.5MB max is very limiting. To give you an idea, that much RAM will only allow you to load about five simple, multisampled (3-4) looped waveforms.
The good news is, I found a place that has the lowest prices on SIMM memory boards:
Memory X
Santa Clara , CA
SIMM, 4MB, 30 pin, 70ns, parity
Part # XFK4 4C9F41-70
$6.98 each
They have a wide variety of shipping options and they're very professional. My order was processed the same day, and the packing was very sturdy.
NOTE: When installing memory boards in a unit that has two expansion slots, like the SY85, two memory boards of equal memory capacity must be installed at the same time!
For those of you who are overseas, you'll need to check Memory X's web site for shipping info. Have fun!
Hello anyone!
I'm in contact with memoryX this days. Anybody knows if there's no problem to expand to 8 mb?
The memoryX staff ask me for the specific type info of my memory (is not the 512 Kb factory the same in all SY85?).
I sent them the torsogong friend notes but they need more info.
Please, can anybody help me?
Must I try to go for that modules or order the common 2Mb expansion to a well know UK store?
Well, in fact I really don't know where the bank module is. Is it necesary to disassemble the synth? I'm a completly newbie.
Thank you very much in advance and forgive my non average english!
Javier
SPAIN
User avatar United States of America
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Clyde » Wed May 11, 2005 5:35 am

If they don't understand SIMM, 4mb, 30 pin, 70ns (nanosecond), parity, I think you need to find a new supplier.
Clyde
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed May 11, 2005 7:24 am

Your absolutly right Clyde. If they don't know by just telling them what they are then I'd walk right away from that one.

Javier. I'll save you some trouble. Send me your postal address and I'll post you a couple of simms :) Either e-mail me on admin@yamahaforums.co.uk or send me a pm via the forum.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Ricoche

Unread post by Ricoche » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 am

Hi everyone,

Old post I know but I had to ask. I'm trying to clarify exactly what sort of Ram fits into the SY-85.

Would 2 30-pin 4MB 70NS Non-Parity work? Does 70NS versus 80NS matter? Parity vs. Non-Parity?

I know 8MB will work ( 2 x 4MB ) but I'm not sure about the rest.

I've seen a lot of different messages regarding speed and parity so I thought I would ask. Thanks!

Jim
Yamaha Gear: Motif XF7, Motif ES8, DX7IIFD, EX5s, CS6r, SY77, SY85, TX816, AN1x, RM50, RX5
Ricoche

Unread post by Ricoche » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

It's funny. I always find my answer right after I post something.

I found the answer:
When installing two SIMM (it MUST be SIMM, 30 pin, less than
80 ns, parity or non parity) boards, both must have the same memory
capacity
Found here: http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/manuals/ya ... torial.pdf

Thanks!

Jim
Yamaha Gear: Motif XF7, Motif ES8, DX7IIFD, EX5s, CS6r, SY77, SY85, TX816, AN1x, RM50, RX5
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Jim

Did those memory modules I sent you arrive yet? I think all the ones I have are 4mb but can't be absolutely sure.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
oldbert

Unread post by oldbert » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:12 pm

This would seem to be a good opportunity to get in a quick plug for the fantastic SYEMB06 non-volatile memory modules produced by forum member Brian, and available over at Sector101 (http://www.sector101.co.uk/syemb06.html).

Of couse, the SY85 doesn't allow for much non-volatile memory to be incorporated (a pair of these modules will max it out). Nevertheless I find that the effects units in the SY85 are so good that it's possible to create a really impressive sound even with small samples. It's been a real boon to have this facility for live use - I've been able to recreate other vintage synth sounds (e.g. the Polymoog Vox Humana) very successfully :D

You rarely, if ever, need a voice to cover the entire keyboard range. So if you are careful about only creating multisamples for the ranges needed for the songs you're going to play, you can save a lot of memory (and time creating samples).

So much better than having to reload into volatile RAM every time you switch your SY85 back on!
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:58 am

A good point - well made there oldbert.

The convenience of not having to reload at each switch-on is truly a boon.

If you couple that with the Sweet16 which I also have, you have the real possibility of a fast enough bank-load to work in a live situation. Loading from the MCD64 slot is MUCH faster, and with Brian's product - its like having 16 selectable cards plugged in . . . .

Sure, the spec is quite humble next to today's offerings, but the fact remains that people really like the sound of the SY85.

This degree of aftermarket support speaks volumes for the quality of the SY85 and the great affection many users have for it.

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar United States of America
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 am

You can get quite a few samples into small memory if you are very selective about the quality and sample size. I've managed to get as many as 12 usable acoustic piano samples in 3mb of sample ram on an SY99.
As Chris pointed out, they won't be the huge samples of todays multi gigabyte machines, but they can still work quite well.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.