Keyboard velocity range

Yamaha SY77 is a 16 voice multitimbral music workstation first produced by Yamaha Corporation in 1989. The SY77 is a synthesizer whose architecture combines AFM (Advanced Frequency Modulation) synthesis, AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) for ROM-borne sample-based synthesis, and the combination of these two methods christened Realtime Convolution and Modulation Synthesis (RCM).

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

db7

Re: Keyboard velocity range

Unread post by db7 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:37 pm

No, maybe I still wasn’t clear enough. Simply, velocity = 99 is the ‘neutral’ velocity that will result in the same sound at any level of sensitivity, but playing at a harder velocity can achieve greater levels (just as playing softer can result in lower levels). This is a feature of the tone generator and is unrelated to the keybed. That is exemplified by how the TG77 is the same and I can drive it with my AN1x, which goes all the way to 127 or very close. Plenty of people have keybeds in their SY77/99 that can go over the commonly claimed limit of 99/100 in most DX7s. You could take a DX7 family synth and drive it with a ‘normal’ keybed to achieve the same effect.
User avatar Great Britain
shadowmask
sector101.co.uk
sector101.co.uk

Unread post by shadowmask » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:32 pm

SY85 Keyboard Velocity Range Modification
Long story short - my SY85 now has the PKS IC running at 7.3728Mhz thanks to a crystal oscillator. This gives roughly a 92% clock speed and does get that stubborn velocity range to 127 if I really go for it. The SY passes all the embedded tests and after about 2 hours playing I see no problems with the overall functionality of the unit.
This modification was performed on my SY85 about a year ago and has caused no ill-effects or irratic behaviour in that time so I have put together an instruction for the mod.

If you wish to get your SY85 to reach those higher keyboard velocities take a look here:

https://app.box.com/s/wd8pazc2wmbtuz5d7qbgtwkmmorn7jct

Brian
User avatar Bosnia & Herzegovina
Studiostriver

Unread post by Studiostriver » Fri May 17, 2019 4:22 pm

I was just finding out this info all over the internet.I recently talked with Brian Allan,and this the mod instructions he gave me.
https://app.box.com/s/wd8pazc2wmbtuz5d7qbgtwkmmorn7jct

He also warned me no one done this mod so far and also there are 2 versions of SY77 one has 8 and other 10mhz IC Clock so further examination is needed from tech in order to see what clock is needed to be replaced.

While I playing SY77 ,my software SY Menager I using as librarian shows it can reach 127 velocity,but I really need to hit it explosively in order to get there,mostly it stays in 117,but its possible to get to 127.

Is anyone made this mod working so far?

Return to “Yamaha SY77 Forum - Covers the Sy77 Keyboard and TG77 Module”